Thursday 25 September 2014

'Time, gentlemen.'

I'm pleased to see that my cricket team, Derbyshire, have had an inspired end to the season that has seen them finish fourth in Division Two of the County Championship, after a final round win by over 400 runs against Leicestershire today.

One particularly pleasing aspect of this season has been the form of left arm seamer, Mark Foottit. He has taken over 100 wickets in all formats and been a virtual ever present, putting many injury problems behind him. I have to admit a few years ago I doubted he would be a decent county performer, but what a season he's had.

However, man of the match must go to young opener Ben Slater. At just 23 years of age, 'Slats' scored his maiden first class century on the first day, and then today followed it up with his second, to contribute 223 runs in the game to the Derbyshire cause. Judging by recent events both his and his teams futures are bright!

The sad thing is that this is the first time in three years I've not been to a cricket game all season. I shall be getting down to the 3aaa County Ground as soon as possible next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment